EICR Test Report Nationwide Service
- Flexible Hours; Book a time that suits you
- Same Day Bookings
- Free Cancellation Policies
- Pay us by Card, PayPal, Google Pay, Apple Pay or Pay on-site
Discounted rates for bulk EICRs
Reliable & Affordable Professionals On One Platform!
Schedule a qualified electrical engineer at a time convenient for you and receive your Electrical Installation Certificate Report (EICR) within 2-5 business days. Find same or next day service and pay by card or on-site.
Accredited & Affordable Professionals On One Platform
Schedule an Electrical Engineer at a time convenient for you and receive your Electrical Installation Certificate Report (EICR) within 2-5 business days. Pay by card or on-site.
What is an EICR Report?
As a landlord or business owner in the UK, it is a legal requirement to carry out an Electrical Safety Condition Report (EICR) for your properties. This report is a certification that all electrical systems and installations are safe and working properly.
Its goal is to detect which one has a potential to result in danger.
It is advised that an EICR test should be undertaken up to every five years (at the assessors discretion)for a privately owned or commercial property.
How long is the EICR Certificate valid for?
Current guidelines state that an Electrical Installation Report for rental properties should last for 5 years. However, it is recommended having the report renewed at the start of each new tenancy.
Why obtaining an Electrical/EICR Test Certificate is important
To work on your project that involves the use of Electricity, it is vital to possess an EICR Test Certificate in the UK. When you are an owner of a specific project or someone working with complex and expensive machinery, you will know these certificates' imperative. Contrary to what many may believe, they are not just validation of your electrical installation, but also safeguard lives.
The EICR Test Certificate is a mandatory safety requirement for all projects in the United Kingdom. Made to assure that the product complies with statutory safety requirements, it confirms that the specific product or installation has been inspected and approved by a Qualified Person.
The EICR Test Certificate is essential because it shows that the electrical work has passed inspection and there is no risk of an electrical fire or electrocution.
Various electrical equipment is widely used within households to provide basic comforts such as lighting and heating. This equipment can pose significant risks to those using it and those nearby unaware of the hazards if they are incorrectly installed or maintained. This makes certificates so important because obtaining one ensures that everything from the wiring and installation to house repairs will be up to date and safe.
In the United Kingdom, there is a law relating to the safety of electrical installations. This covers all new and existing domestic electrical installations. The Building Regulations state that you need to complete and issue an Electrical/ EICR Test Certificate for any electrical installation not covered by an Installation Condition.
What exactly is an EICR Test?
EICR testing is a really quick and simple process. The objective of an EICR testing is to thoroughly examine the electrical wiring system of a building. It is carried out only by a qualified electrical engineer and it is not something you can do all by yourself. He or she must have the necessary skills, training and experience to carry out the EICR test correctly.
Why do I need an EICR Test Certificate?
The EICR Test Certificates ensure that all foreign objects are removed from inside electricity connectors and trenches. Without these Electrical Test Certificates, the house sold or rented could not be used for mechanical work.
Note: No work can be carried out on these areas without this certificate as experts verify it according to government standards.
When do I need an Electrical Safety Certificate
An Electrical Safety Certificate is required for equipment used with or around Electricity.
The certificate is needed for machinery that creates a fire risk, contains gas that can be ignited, and has centrifugal motion, rotating members, or rotating shafts. The certificate also protects those who must use the equipment and considers specific hazards like operating at high temperatures or creating electric shocks.
What does it mean to perform an EICR test?
Electrical installations are evaluated using the EICR test protocol, and a report is generated as a result. The report details the installation's safety and condition, as well as any necessary repairs.
A competent electrician normally performs an EICR test, which involves conducting a series of tests on the electrical system. During these checks, the installation's safety and condition are evaluated, and any necessary repairs are indicated in the report.
The electrician will write up their results in a report once they've been tested. If you are the property owner or occupant, you may use this report to make sure your electrical system is safe and up to code. The EICR testing process should not be considered a replacement for routine electrical installation maintenance and inspection. However, it should not be used as a substitute for regular inspections to verify that the installation is safe and in excellent working order.
Who can obtain an Electrical Installation Condition Report?
Electrical Safety Certificates are safety checks for electrical installation and maintenance.
These certifications verify that the system is safe enough to operate. Electrical professionals, electrical engineers, and electricians can all offer these services.
The different professionals can conduct other parts of the certificate process, so this doesn't necessarily need a single person's job.
EICR Test Procedure explained
The first thing you need to do to begin the EICR test procedure is research. Finding a qualified professional is a very demanding task. Before choosing, you must know your criteria and requirements.
What are you looking for in a professional?
How much are you planning on spending for this service?
What do you expect when the service is over?
Write down your preferences.
In this way, while doing the research, you'll know what you're looking for and thus, you'll find the expert that suits your needs easier and faster.
As the day of the appointments arrives, the expert you chose will come to your place in order to begin the EICR test. The engineer will be looking for any issues or defects in the build quality of your electrical system and installations.
The stages of the EICR test procedure as follows:
- Visual Inspection. The first step of the EICR Testing is a visual assessment from the engineer to see if anything is clearly in need of repair or replacement (i.g cracks or breaks in the electrical appliances, overheating spots etc.).
- Dead Testing. For this stage, the engineer will disconnect the electrical installation from the mains power supply. The various phases of Dead Testing are performed to check for possible issues with an electrical system. These tests include an insulation test, a continuity test, and a polarity test. Possible issues that may come up: faulty electric connectors, potential system shocks etc.
- Live Testing. These tests are carried out to ensure that the electric system can immediately shut down in the event of a major emergency.
- RCD Testing. These EICR tests are in place for fire prevention purposes (Testing is done on more modern electrical systems’ RCDs -Residual-Current Devices).
How long does the EICR Testing take?
The duration for the EICR test procedure may vary. Usually, the inspection for a large apartment lasts for 3-4 hours.
Some factors that can affect the duration of the EICR Testing are:
- The size of your property.
- The number of circuits.
- The complexity of the installation.
- What potential issues are discovered during the inspection.
How long do I have to wait to get my EICR Report?
An EICR Test Certificate is generally obtained in a two-step process.
A qualified electrician inspects the installation and then applies to the inspection body. This process can take anywhere from a couple of hours or about two weeks if waiting for inspectors, who are limited by law to completing a small number of inspections in any given week.
The city you're in the UK can affect the waiting time. We've heard of situations where whole city sections experience monthly inspections backlogs; it depends on the number and priority of applications submitted and how many safety inspection departments are active.
Can I fail my EICR Test?
Yes. Just carrying out an EICR certificate is not enough, especially if you are planning on selling or renting your property. In the event the engineer finds out that there are parts at your system that are considered unsafe, he or she marks the installation as "unsatisfactory".
If so, the damage must be repaired within 28 days from the date of the inspection.
What happens after EICR Testing?
Getting the EICR testing done can sometimes take a few days. Once the engineer has finished his work, he will then send you an email with the report in a digital format. The report will also detail the part of the system that failed the test and what exactly caused it.
Note: After the EICR test is complete, the engineer may need between 2-5 working days to issue the report, as it takes a while to upload and calculate the findings online.
Codes of EICR Certificate explained:
- C1: The most dangerous code. Danger is present. Immediate action is required.
- C2: Potentially dangerous. Remedial action is needed urgently.
- C3: Improvement is recommended. This is the only code that, if appears in your report, you can still pass the EICR test. As the C1 and C2 appeared, you have failed your report.
- FI: Further Investigation is required.
If your electrical safety certificate has a C1 fault, the assessor can shut-down the property or, if feasible, remedial work can be carried out immediately. If the issue is not urgent, then the landlord must provide written proof that the work has been completed within the required period (28 days as per UK law).
Why should I have an up-to-date EICR test report?
Due to the changes in legislation, it is important that you are fully compliant with all your home appliances and systems.
We’ve summed up the most important reasons why you should carry out a valid electrical safety certificate:
- Safety. Searches have shown that every day in the UK at least four people get injured in fires connected with electrical faults. Also, these faults are one of the main causes for all accidental house fires.
- Insurance. Insurance companies are requesting that periodic inspection is carried out on a regular basis. The EICR test will prove if the accident that occurred was avoidable which strengthens your insurance claim.
- Save Money and Hassle. Do not wait until the system is not working properly before calling an electrician. Having an experienced and certified electrical engineer will help identify potential issues and provide solutions that can improve the system's efficiency.
- Efficiency. The advice that an EICR certificate can provide you with all the relative information you need to keep your property safe, and can offer how to improve it immediately or in the future.Do not hesitate to communicate with the professional before following your report’s suggestions.
Fines for not having an Electrical Safety Certificate
The CEE requires Electrical Safety Certificates to perform any installation or alteration of an electrical installation.
The EICR Test Certificate achieves certification through carrying out tests and checking that all the relevant regulations have been adhered to.
The consequences of not having this certificate can be fines up to €3,000 and a sentence of 2 years imprisonment.
Hire an Electrician for your EICR Test Today!
When it comes to property services we all want the best result possible! Through our platform, you can find trustworthy and experienced electricians in your area in order to undertake your EICR testing. MyConstructor has gathered the best professionals in their field! Compare prices and reviews & choose the one that suits your needs. Book your appointment today and save time, money and hassle!